Univ. da Beira Interior
R. Marquês d'Ávila e Bolama
6201-001 Covilhã, Portugal
Telephone: +351 275 319 700, Ext. 1601
Fax: +351 275 319 899
Email: luis.insert_my_last_name (at) ubi.pt
I have 2 grants
INDTECH_4.0_LA_M3) for master students for a 3 year project. Making a PhD at the same time is a possibility.
Areas: deep learning, computer vision and robotics.
Contact me if you are interested. Application deadline is July 24, 2018.
My interests are Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision. More
precisely I am currently interested in the following topics (check the
Check here please.
- I am a team member of the project HAnDLE - Hardware Accelerated Deep LEarning framework, financed by FCT, (PTDC/EEI-HAC/30485/2017, 2018-2021, 240k€). The goal is to develop a new
scalable hardware accelerator on FPGA-technology to support state-of-the-art DNNs. The coordinator is Nuno Roma.
- I am a team member of the project MOVES - Monitoring Virtual Crowds in Smart Cities financed by FCT, (2018-2021, 239k€). The goal is to develop a multilingual surveillance system capable
of detecting emerging crowds by identifying rising events that foster high focus, high energy and high emotion on social media. The coordinator is Sebastião Pais.
- I am a team member of the project INDTECH 4.0, financed by P2020, (2018-2021, 9.2M€). The goal is to develop new technologies in terms of the Industry 4.0 for the Peugeot Citroen Auto factory in Mangualde. Other participating entities: FEUP, UTAD, RARI, NEADVANCE, Active Space Tecnologies, Critical
Manufacturing and Motofil Robotics.
- I was the coordinator of project ASWK: Android Standardised Work and Kaisen In The Race. The project was developed for Peugeot Citroen
Automóveis Portugal. Budget: 4674€. 2015
I was a team member of project 'Reusable
Deep Neural Networks:
applications to biomedical data' (2012-2015, 158k€)
(PTDC/EIA-EIA/119004/2010), which was
financed by the FCT.
The main goal is to clarify the conditions under which a DNN can be
The coordinator is Luís
- I was a team member of project 'NECOVID: Covert
Negative Biometric Identification' (2010-2013, 87k€)
(PTDC/EIA-EIA/103945/2008), which was financed by the FCT.
The goal is to address the feasibility of an automated system that
performs covert and reliable biometric recognition, using the iris as
single trait. The coordinator is Hugo
I was the coordinator of the project 'BioRec -
Non-Cooperative Multimodal Biometric Recognition'
(2007-2011, 130k€) (PTDC/EIA/69106/2006), which was financed by
The goal of the project was the development of a system for recognizing
people at a distance without their cooperation, using iris and face
(on the visible and infrared) detection and recognition techniques.
I was the coordinator of the project 'EntNets -
networks for the analysis of medical data'
(2005-2008, 77k€) (POSC/EIA/56918/2004), which was financed by
The goal of the project was the development of neural networks using
entropy as a cost function and their application to the analysis of
Most of the team members were researchers at the
Neural Network Interest Group
I was a team member of project 'COMBDEC - Combining Decisions.
Application in Chest Radiograph Image Analysis'
which was financed by program PRAXIS XXI.
I was the coordinator of the project at UBI.
The goal of the project was the detection of
pathologies in chest x-ray
images. We used image processing and classifier combination techniques.
I was a team member of project 'Analysis ad Rendering of
Real and Virtual Setups' (financed by JNICT)
where I developed work in road traffic analysis from real-time video images.
This work is included in my MSc thesis.
This year I
teach: Artificial Intelligence (undergraduate), Multimedia II (undergraduate), Computational Intelligence (MSc) and Neural Networks (PhD).
- Full Professor at UBI, since March 2015.
- Head of the Dept. of Informatics at UBI, from November 2013 to October 2015.
- Agregação degree on Computer Science and Engineering at UBI, on May
Associate Professor at the Dept.
of Informatics at UBI, from 2009 to 2015.
Member of the Neural Network
Interest Group at FEUP, from 2003 to 2015.
Researcher at Instituto
de Telecomunicações at UBI, since 2003.
Assistant Professor at the Dept.
of Informatics at UBI, from 2002 to 2009.
PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computers
awarded by the Faculty of Engineering
of the Univ. of Porto, in 2002.
Assistente at the Dept. of Informatics at UBI,
from 2001 to 2002.
Assistente at the Dept. of Matematics/Informatics at UBI,
from 1998 to 2001.
MSc in Electrical Engineering and Computers - option of Industrial Informatics
awarded by the Faculty of Engineering
of the Univ. of Porto, in 1997.
Assistente estagiário at the Dept. of Matematics/Informatics at UBI,
from 1996 to 1997.
Researcher at the Computer Vision and Image Processing Group at
INEB - Instituto de Engenharia
Biomédica from 1995 to 2002.
Systems Analist in a private company, from 1994 to 1995.
Licenciado in Physics/Applied Mathematics by the
of Science of the Univ. of Porto in 1994.
Member of the popularization unit at the Astrophysics Center of the Univ. of Porto
from 1993 to 1994.